Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Ordinary Days


With three hours remaining in this year, I decided to stop and ponder.  I write a lot about what I am experiencing in the moment but don’t do just a whole lot of pondering.  And what better time is there than when a large measurement of time gives way to the next?

This year has been bittersweet.  There have been extraordinary highs like getting to move to middle Tennessee and buying our (my) dream house, a family vacation to the Smokies, seeing my son thrive in school.  And there have been really difficult lows.
 
But what I am most mindful of at this year-changing junction is the in-betweenies.  All those little moments, those fleeting conversations, stolen glances, cast-aside phrases, and sweet little kisses that make up the bulk of life.  If I were to weigh my year out into positive little moments or negative little moments, I must be a very happy girl indeed.  Yes, I had tiffs, arguments, and probably even fights with my husband, my son, or others dear to me.  I was wrong more times than I care to admit.  I did or said stupid things.  But I heard, said, felt, gave, got…so many more positive things.  It’s the random, “I love you, mom” from my sweet son’s mouth.  It’s the unexpected phone call just to say hi or getting a REALLY good kiss at a red light just because from my honey.  It’s visiting with a friend without an occasion or reason.  It’s getting to see my family or watch my son play with his cousins or grandparents on a Tuesday.  It’s awesome conversations with and learning more about my husband’s family. 

All these LITTLE things make up the past 365 days more so than the few days of vacation, of moving, of crying over heartaches.  I want to appreciate, to CLING to, these little details.  For if I spend my life focusing on the lowlights and highlights, I’ll miss out on so much of the beauty of the ordinary.

And so, my wish, my hope for 2015 is for ordinary days and plenty of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment